Thursday, October 13, 2011

Identifying Our Assumptions - Audi Acree

My earliest memories include riding behind my sister on the three-wheeler and making mud pies in the dirt. I am not sure if the reason my older sister and I were encouraged to do things like ride ATVs and wander through the woods shooting BB guns at birds had to do with the small rural community in which we grew up, or if the fact that my dad had no sons who he could take fishing had something to do with it.

I was five when my parents divorced and my sister and I moved out with my mom. My dad took a new job where he traveled most of the time. Although we visited my dad occasionally, we spent most of our time with our mom. After the split, my sister who is eight years older than me remained interested in the activities introduced to us by our dad. I, however, rarely joined her. I preferred to stay inside and play with my Barbies or bake something with my mom. I remember my sister asking for a paintball gun for Christmas one year, and soon after that she got a four-wheeler as an eighth grade graduation present. I always asked for things like Easy Bake Ovens, dress up clothes, and dolls, and as I grew a little older I asked for clothes or the newest boy band CD.

Being the youngest, I was always the shy, more sensitive “mommy’s girl,” (which I still get teased for today) and my sister always seemed to be the independent one who wasn’t afraid to get into trouble. I have to wonder if this has to do with fact that my father was largely part of my sister’s life for thirteen years whereas he was essentially only in my life for five years. The fact that my sister became a power-lifter in her teenage years and never took any crap from boys might possibly have something to do with the influence of my father for much of her early life. She is now married, loves the outdoors, and is still one of the toughest women I know. As of recent, she does not want to have children. I, on the other hand, still cling to my mom, am told I am still quite timid, would much rather stay inside and bake a cake, and hope to someday have lots of babies.

There is an interesting contrast between my sister and I. It is difficult to determine exactly how this distinction came about. It could be the fact that she is the older sister and I am the youngest. It could be the personalities we have been given. It could be the difference in the presence of our father in our lives, or it could be a mixture of many things.

I am excited to hear the stories of other individuals and families, to learn how they were raised, and what factors may have contributed to the person they have become.

No comments:

Post a Comment